How to use a Mala
How to use a MaleTraditionally, these beads are used during meditation/prayer or affirmation
Using these beads is simple, easy, and powerful. Follow these steps to get started:
- Clarify the intention of your practice and choose your affirmation, mantra or prayer.
- Find a quiet space and sit in a comfortable position with back support.
- Take a few deep breaths to center and observe the speed and depth of your natural breath. Don't control it - just follow it several cycles.
- Bring your focus and attention to your mantra/affirmation or prayer.
- Start with one of the small beads next to the largest bead above the tassel.
- Hang the first bead gently on the middle or ring finger of your hand. Place your thumb on the large bead, and use it to count each smaller bead, pulling it with the thumb towards you as you begin your mantra, affirmation or prayer.
- The large bead eventually becomes the last bead of your prayer.
- If you want to continue, instead of passing over the large bead, simply reverse direction and begin again.